Stuffed Animal Net: Tutorial

DSCF4529
DSCF4554

DSCF4529

If your kids love stuffed animals as much as mine, then this might be the tutorial for you.  It can be made really quickly as well, so that’s a great bonus!

We have so. many. stinkin’. adorable. cuddly stuffed animals that it’s ridiculous.
DSCF4533

Occasionally I can slip one into our “to-give” thrift store pile without anyone noticing.
DSCF4537

But for the most part, my kids keep track of each and every one of their stuffed animals.
DSCF4541

And what you see in this net is not even half of what we own.  So I need to make another one for my boys’ room.  (and no, that pillow pet is merely for show and does not permanently stay in the net—I didn’t spend $20.00 for that dog to just be looked at!).
DSCF4545

The instructions are for the size net you see pictured—you can mess around with it to get the size you want, but this actually is a pretty good size that fits well in the corner.  Just make sure to adjust what you’ll need in trim and bias tape if you change the dimensions:

–  about a 46” x 32” piece knit.  Since knit stretches more one way than the other, the more stretchy direction is the 46” side.  I know that makes me sound like an idiot because these are not the real terms to use, but that’s the only way I can explain it to you.  It doesn’t have to be that exact measurement, but make it pretty close.  The reason knit is used is because it can stretch down when you place the stuffed animals in it.  I’m sure cotton or other fabric can be used and would work great, but the stretch is beneficial in my opinion.
-about 50” trim for the front  (if you decide not to use trim, then you’ll need more bias tape so adjust accordingly)
-one package bias tape
-nails or hooks to hang the net on.  I actually ended up using nails instead of the hooks pictured below.
DSCF4478

Take the knit and fold it in half along the 46” side and crease so you know where the middle is.  Fold one of the 32” sides to create a straight line from one corner to the middle of the 46” side, where the black dot in the picture indicates.
DSCF4479

Cut off the excess, and repeat with the other side so you have a triangle left over. DSCF4479
DSCF4481

Take the end of the bias tape and sandwich around one of the slanted sides of the triangle (not the base that’s still 46” long), making sure the more narrow side of the bias tape is on top so you will not miss a layer when sewing.  Leave about 4” at the end.  Sew the bias tape together and continue sewing along the side of the triangle but stop when you get close to the tip of the triangle.  DSCF4490

Once you get to the tip, you are going to sew just the bias tape for 4-5” not onto the knit.  Once you do that, create a loop as pictured, then continue sewing the bias tape onto the knit down the other slanted side of the triangle.  At this point, you have sewn the bias tape along both the slanted sides, making a loop at the top point, but the 46” edge has nothing done to it. DSCF4488
Take the 4” ends you left and create a loop by folding it back and sewing in place as pictured:DSCF4492

This is what you should have now.  One loop at each corner of the triangle.
DSCF4493

Now take your trim and sew along the bottom 46” of the triangle.  Make sure to catch the threads onto the bias tape and backstitch a few times so it doesn’t rip with the weight of the stuffed animals. DSCF4494

This next step is optional, but I saw a really cute net on between the lines where she made this grocery bag out of knit and cut slits in it—I loved the look and wanted to do this on the stuffed animal net.  The slits at this point have stretched a bit but have held together fine and no stuffed animals can fit through  (I made this net 4 weeks ago!).

So if you would like to do that, I just cut 2” slits, about 4” apart in a sort of pattern on the net.  It doesn’t need to be perfect, you can measure or just eyeball it.  Depends on how much you trust your eyeballs ;).  DSCF4496DSCF4497

Before hanging, kind of measure it around a bit and maybe even tape it to see where the nails need to go—especially if you have a window near it so the outside loops will need to be closer to the middle loops so it droops more and doesn’t go so far out on the walls.  That might not make a lick of sense until you try hanging it.  What I’m saying though, is to play around with it before committing to any holes in your wall.
DSCF4523
DSCF4525

We’ve got to keep these little critters happy and contained.   Our kids, and the stuffed animals ;).DSCF4547

Comments

i love this… i don’t have kids but i have a lot of stuffed animals for some odd reasons. : ) this looks so easy to make! thanks for sharing, love, Jello.

What a great idea. I love it. My daughter has 100 soft toys and they each have a personality. We have dragged her across the other side of the world and back again and a lot of them are her memories of people and places so I don’t want to throw them out but they drive me nuts! This would be a great way to neaten them up.

Where where where did you get that adorable ball fringe? I’ve never seen any like that!

You’ve really given this project real zing!!!

Thank you for this tutorial!! I have been shoving all the stuffed animals underneath my daughter’s crib and it drives me a little crazy. This is a lot better. I want to make this

What I need to know is, where on earth did you get that awesome multi-colored pompom trim? that is AWESOME! Also, next time I’m feeling naughty I think I’ll have to mail you some stuffed animals. My oldest spent 3 1/4 years being an only child/grandchild/neice. So yeah. Impressive collection, to say the least.
    And baby Olivia has exactly one stuffed animal. I think Nicole had like twelve by three months old…

Hey! I really like you blog and was wondering how often you post? I probably check it about every day! Ha!
    Keep up the good work!
    -Julie

Hi Julie,

I’m glad you like my blog and check it often:). I post at least once a week if not more, usually it’s more but I’m working on some guest posts this week so I haven’t posted more so I can stay sane:).

I love this and think I’ll have to make one for each of my girls (at least the two oldest girls…= ) Thanks for sharing!

This is a great tutorial :) I have been toying (no pun intended!) with the idea of crocheting a net for my kids’ stuffed toys but the idea of how much time it would take me keeps me from doing it. But this looks so simple and quick and CUTE! :) I think I will have to give it a shot!

I found your blog via the “Celebrate the Boy” Flickr group. I love this idea for a stuffed-animal net! I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for posting!

That is so clever Christie! I need to make one for my kids room :). Oh, and I love your new blog design and header, it looks awesome!

wow! I am super impressed! I just stumbled onto your blog, and I love it! That is such a darling idea. I think I need one for my dogs toys :) Keep up the great work!

Hello :) I know that this tutorial is more than 6 months old but I think it is a very handy one to make when you have children. I have shared your post over at my blog (all links are directed back to you). Thank you for creating this and I will have a go during the school holidays.

I had a great time making this for my daughter! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial! I also wrote about it on my blog and linked and credited you :)

Keep up the amazing stuff! I love it!

Thank you for this tutorial! I had a teddy hammock when I was a kid (pink and purple ropes) and have always wanted another for the accumulation of stuffed animals we’ve built over the years. This seems easy enough–even for a non-sewer like myself :-)