Tonight C is Harry Potter (glasses he got from THIS awesome party).
… I used Simplicity pattern 5512 as a guide for these 3 costumes. I greatly altered the pattern pieces, but it was a great starting point for me.
After my kids figured out what they wanted to be, I looked at Harry Potter robes and ties online, only to find that they are pretty pricey. Buying one wouldn’t be bad, but times it by 3 and it’s too much for me! I made these costumes for about $15.00 each. Not as cheap as I had hoped, but the quality is better than what I would pay for online. If I bought the robe and a tie, I was looking at at least $35.00 per costume for any that were decently reviewed.
I added a lining to the robes, and a pocket for their wands (ordered off Amazon—they make a cool noise and everything). Thanks to Sabra for helping me figure out how to line them!
I really cheated on the ties and didn’t do them any sort of official way. I learned before when I made ties that they take a long time to sew the correct way.
So here’s a little short version of how I sewed them. I traced a tie that fit the kids so there were two pieces. Not long, just a few inches longer than the top of the tie I traced. I cut strips for the stripes and made them kind of like single folded bias tape. Then I sewed the stripes on, placed right sides together and left a space to turn on the side near the top narrow area. I sewed around the edges minus the hole to turn, clipped the corners, turned, topstitched the hole, and ironed.
And for the vests, I just bought a cheap sweatshirt or t-shirt from the thrift store ($1.00 each), cut the necks to a V, and sewed on gray double folded bias tape. Just a note: I liked how the sweatshirt looked much better than the t-shirts!
(Tomorrow I’ll show you what the hubs and I were. The kids were disappointed we didn’t dress up to go along with them, but we did dress as a “couple”.)