Go HERE to vote for your favorite look!
I wanted to pair the feminine blouse with a great pair of skinny jeans. Black jeans are a bit hard to get good shots of—the close up ones are fine but the far away shots you can’t tell they are jeans. But they are jeans indeed and I’m very happy with them! (and pssst, for those other ladies out there who are tall—best part of making jeans? You can make them as long as you want!! They were a bit long to wear with these shoes so I rolled them up).
The people at Named were kind enough to send me the pattern (PDF file) for free! I was debating between the three pair of jeans Sabra from Sew a Straight Line reviewed HERE, and decided to go with the Jamie Jeans. I also completely loved the pair Alida sewed when she was on Project Sewn and she used the same pattern. I am so glad I did because the instructions were very clear. I love love the front seam on the legs! I used some leather from a thrifted jacket for the pocket trim.
Pair the instructions that come with the jeans with the I Dream of Jean-ie series HERE and HERE on Sew a Straight Line and Melly Sews, along with THIS flickr pool from someone making the Jamie Jeans, and it was a success! And I actually really enjoyed sewing them. They turned out wonderful and fit me very well. (ahem, sorry for the butt shot, really…it’s embarrassing but they are jeans and this is a detailed post on what we sew!). As you can see, like Alida, I omitted the belt loops because like her, I don’t wear belts on my pants, ever.
I sewed up the size 12 and they fit perfectly. I did make a muslin first! And I am so glad I did because there were a couple fitting issues I had to work out by my adjustments I thought I had to make. But I didn’t end up having to make any adjustments to the pattern—at all! That is such a rare thing!
Jeans are NOT as hard as you might think! They were time consuming but after last week’s jacket, I was ready for anything. I think switching back and forth between regular thread and topstitching thread was something I didn’t think would take time, but of course it adds time—I got pretty quick at it by the end though. Also, serging around every pattern piece took some time as well. I’m not known as the fastest sewer though, so there’s that, too.
You can see on the back here the darts I had to sew to get the shirt to fit how I wanted. The pattern has about a 4” ease which is a little much I thought. It was just a tad too low so I wore a tank underneath.
Moving right along…now for the cardigan!
I made this Aztec inspired cardigan using the Swingy Cardigan by Burda. I omitted the pockets because I didn’t want them to flop around and be seen with this flowing cardigan. But I absolutely love the pattern and how bold it is. I thought it was the perfect touch.
And that’s a wrap for this week!
Head over to Project Sewn to vote for your favorite Going Global look! The other ladies have done a wonderful job yet again this week!