After reading through the comments there, I was nervous to try this out because a couple people said theirs didn’t and it was a mess. But it worked and we had a total blast making it!
-2 boxes of the 64 count crayons and picked out the best colors ($2.64 each at Target)
-a 15” x 30” canvas from Joann ($8 and change half off at Joann)
I lined my crayons up next to the canvas prior to gluing them on, so that I could center the crayons on the canvas. I also just lined them up with the very top. I like the look of the wrappers on the crayons. Some people prefer them to be unwrapped.
After moving the board outside, just in case we did end up with a mess, we got to work. We angled the board slightly on a chair.
My three kids and I just took turns with the blow dryer, waiting for the satisfying first drips of the crayons. I had the blow dryer set on low with high heat, so we didn’t splatter melted wax everywhere with a stronger blast. I also instructed the kids to not blow the air below the paper on the crayons so we didn’t lose the dripping effect by spraying wax other directions.
You can see in the picture below that the paper on the orange crayons gets darker and shiny. That means you are close to your first drips!
First drips! This is where it got really fun! Because we were using a low strength of blowing, even with the high heat it still took us a while to get to this point, but that might be because my kiddos were doing most of the work.
They loved choosing different colors to start melting.
Poppy chose the girly colors.
Eventually, the crayons got hot enough to drip steady streams and globs of crayon wax. The kids REALLY enjoyed that! A steady stream of melting was so fun to watch, and their persistence definitely paid off.
But my kids weren’t bored once the whole time. They loved every minute, from start to finish. I’d guess we were probably out there for at least 20 minutes melting the crayons.
My two favorite areas of mixed colors:
We could have melted it longer, but we liked the look of it here so we stopped.
So much fun! Seriously, I highly recommend this project with your kids. It now hangs in the ‘new’ toy room (which was very recently Poppy’s room, but we moved her bed into the boys’ room since she sleeps in there most nights anyway).
Which actually looks like this as we try and figure out how to arrange a toy room with dressers of clothes permanently in there.